Wednesday, January 21, 2009

P90x Reviews - Yoga X


Okay so before I begin writing on this P90x Yoga workout routine, I must use a disclaimer before. I do not do this with any of the other P90x Reviews. Disclaimer: I am in no way flexible, Yoga is definitely not my strongest workout. If you are a Yoga fanatic, I am sure you will do a lot better at this workout than me and I am sure you will be challenged. I have been doing this Yoga routine for awhile now and I have seen some flexibility changes, but I am in no way a yoga master.

So first and foremost, this is the longest workout P90x has to offer, it is about an hour and a half so make sure you have enough time to do it because you do not want to stop in the middle. For anyone who has never done Yoga, you are going to be in for a surprise, seriously, you will probably struggle. A lot of people either really enjoy this workout, or get completely frustrated and give up on it or substitute it. I urge you, if you are one of the people who cannot stand it, continue to press on, because it will help you so much with the other workouts and avoiding injury. But if you absolutely hate it or have some religion problem with it, than there is always the P90x X Stretch routine, it is about an hour and it is not as tough as Yoga, but you will still get a great stretch from it.

Let me talk about some of the routines that you will be doing in this P90x Yoga X routine. If you are not used to Yoga you are going to be uncomfortable, I recommend if you are shy you do this where no one can watch you, so you can remain focused on your stretch. You start off the workout with Sun Salutations, in this exercise you will do what is called downward dog, and upward dog, with push ups in between. You will pretty much be doing those positions all the way through the first 45 minutes, so do not get bored with the repetition. During that time you will also do what Yoga calls warrior positions, there is warrior 1, 2, 3...and reverse warrior. You will hold these positions and sweat like crazy. You will also be put into positions that will make you feel like a pretzel, but just push on.

The next 45 minutes you will be doing balancing positions. Warning, you might fall over a lot, if you do just get right back into it. There will be some exercises in this second half that you will look at and say, "What?! They want me to do that?!" There is an exercise that is called shoulder plough, you pretty much are standing on your shoulders with your legs straight up in the air, and then you drop your legs down by your head, it is wild. It is also an advance move, so if you can't do it, do not push yourself to far, because you could possibly hurt your self. I have personally made some great advances with that exercise.

P90x Yoga probably has one of the best endings ever. If you can just make it to the end you will enjoy the cool down time. You pretty much just lay on the ground and do not move and it feels great, they do some crossed legged humming stuff at the end, I do not do that, that's to weird.

1 comment:

the little darlings said...

hi steve, i just happened across this blog because i guess mine was listed before it, but i just wanted to say to keep up the good work. i'm 9 months pregnant but i did P90x before and loved it!!!! i'm still like counting down the weeks after the baby comes till i can start again. it's going to litterally kick my trash at first, so i think i'll start slow but yeah, like you, i hate the wall squats. you'll have to post before and after shots.